New Brunswick: Media vehicles seized, negotiations ongoing

REXTON, N.B. — A reporter for Global News in New Brunswick was threatened and a news vehicle and camera were seized by five protesters in Rexton, N.B., Saturday [Oct 19].

Laura Brown was at the site of an ongoing shale gas protest around noon when the protesters confronted another media outlet and seized a vehicle.

Global News news director Jim Haskins said Brown got into her vehicle and locked the door, but was threatened by the protesters.

“They knocked on the window and demanded that she get out of the vehicle and leave it,” said Haskins. “At first she refused, but the situation she felt was unsafe and unstable so reluctantly she locked the vehicle, left and started walking away.

RCMP Const. Jullie Rogers-Marsh said police had taken statements from the media and was investigating.

Rifles and ammunition RCMP claim were found at site of blockade encampment, oct 17, 2013.Haskins, who is based in Halifax, said Brown was able to retrieve her vehicle and equipment just after 4 p.m. with the help of some First Nations people. He said no equipment was damaged.

CTV News reports that one of its news crews was also told by the protesters to leave behind their satellite truck and equipment while filming in a warehouse parking lot. Wendy Freeman, the president of CTV News, said in the email the network had no further immediate comment.

It said the protesters approached the TV crew and asked them to leave before surrounding their vehicle.

Pipe bombs RCMP claim were found at site of blockade encampement, Oct 17, 2013.

Pipe bombs RCMP claim were found at site of blockade encampement, Oct 17, 2013.

The Assembly of First Nations’ Chiefs in New Brunswick issued a statement Saturday condemning the actions of the small group of protesters. It urged all protesters to rally without violence or intimidation.

Rogers-Marsh said there was a blockade on Highway 11 in Rexton earlier Saturday, but it was cleared later in the day. She said Saturday evening that no roads in that area were being blocked.

The protest turned violent on Thursday, when six police vehicles including an unmarked van were burned and Molotov cocktails were tossed at police before they fired non-lethal beanbag type bullets and pepper spray to defuse the situation.

RCMP found improvised explosive devices that were modified to discharge shrapnel and used a fuse-ignition system. Officers also seized guns and knives after moving in to enforce a court-ordered injunction to remove protesters at the site of a compound in Rexton where SWN Resources stored exploration equipment.

Forty people were arrested for firearms offences, threats, intimidation, mischief and violating the injunction.

The protesters, some of whom were members of the Elsipogtog First Nation, were demonstrating for weeks against the development of a shale gas sector in the province.

Elsipogtog Chief Arren Sock, who was among those arrested, met with New Brunswick Premier David Alward on Friday and said they would meet again to discuss ways of preventing what happened Thursday.

The RCMP blocked Route 134 on Sept. 29 after a protest there began spilling onto the road. Protesters subsequently cut down trees that were placed across another part of the road, blocking the entrance to the compound.

The protesters want SWN Resources to stop seismic testing and leave the province.

SWN Resources issued a statement Friday saying it is in the early stages of exploration in New Brunswick.

The Canadian Press



Introduce tus datos o haz clic en un icono para iniciar sesión:

Logo de

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Google+ photo

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Google+. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Imagen de Twitter

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Twitter. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Foto de Facebook

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Facebook. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )


Conectando a %s